1. Ripples of Hope 2011 – There was laughter, there were a few tears, and there certainly were quite a few inspiring moments. Missed the re-cap? Click here to read up on our annual gala at Chelsea Piers that took place Wednesday night! And if you’re just looking for some photos, you can browse the Flickr album here.
2. City Year’s In School and On Track: A National Leadership Summit – Today is the final day of this year’s City Year Summit which is taking place in Washington DC. The summit brings together thought leaders from the education, business, government and philanthropic communities to talk about how national service can help end the high school dropout crisis. A small group of staff, corps members and alumni from CYNY are attending, and we can’t wait to share with you their thoughts next week. Click here to read more about the speakers and programming.
3. FINAL Chance to Apply to Next Year’s Corps - The last deadline to apply to be a corps member from 2011-2012 is fast approaching. Know someone who would be a great corps member? Encourage them to apply by May 15!
4. Join the City Year New York Associate Board for its Annual Benefit
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Housing Works Bookstore Cafe
126 Crosby Street
Featuring Cocktails, Hors d’Oeuvres and a Raffle and Silent Auction
Dress is Business Casual
Please click here to purchase tickets to the benefit for $100 each.
Can’t make the event but want to bid on some amazing auction items? (Equinox Fitness Club Membership, a private chef experience, just to name a couple…) Check out all the auction items here. Bidding on all online auction items will continue through the live event. Winners will be announced at the end of the night. Plus, you’ll be shopping for a great cause: keeping kids in under-resourced neighborhoods in schools and on track to graduate!
5. Community Service Days Update -
- Be Fit, BX a Success!
This past weekend the South Bronx Zone hosted it’s first ever Be Fit, BX Event. We were able to engage over 900 community members (and that was only how many waivers we had!), have some 30+ local organizations come out and engage people in fitness, nutrition and health activities. We gave out 500 tote bags with free give aways, handed out vegan packages, Mary Kay make up packs, cook books, sports equipment, fruit, sports drinks and an endless supply of veggie burgers :-)
The day was organized chaos that really brought the community (and thankfully the sun) out. It was amazing to walk around and see kids in the bouce house, a running obstacle course, a basketball tournament, playing rugby, volunteers gardening and painting murals, hands and faces painted, BBL classes and City Years in-school work on dispaly- the buzz was amazing.
All photos by Corps Member Kate Colacchio of the PS 48 Alcoa Team
- There are TWO more Community Service Days this spring!
“One Harlem” is taking place tomorrow, May 7. Projects will include painting murals, landscaping in community gardens and parks, light construction and a block party celebration. Registration for this event is closed.
For more information, please contact Alli Szutu at firstname.lastname@example.org.