Please join us for the official swearing in of the 2011 – 2012 City Year New York corps
What: Show your support and meet the 2011-2012 corps
Date: Friday, October 7, 2011
Where: Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College (68th st and Lexington ave)
Time: 8:30 am doors open, 9:00 am start
Please RSVP to Sarah Shutt
1. Remembering 9/11: It’s almost hard to believe that it has been 10 years since the 9/11 attacks. To honor the victims, survivors, and the many that rose in service in response to the 9/11 tragedy, MyGoodDeed is partnering with the HandsOn Network to co-lead efforts in hopes of organizing the single largest day of charitable service in United States history. (via City Year Blog)
The City Year New York community will spend next Sunday volunteering in schools and NYCHA Houses on the Lower East Side. We encourage everyone to take a moment on 9/11 to remember those whose lives were changed forever and find a way to give back.
2. Back to School Month: August is “Back to School Month” and for City Year that means welcoming and training the 2,000 Corps Members who will be serving with us this year, in 22 cities across the USA. Our CMs will be entering some of our counties most underserved schools, working with students who are struggling in three key areas – Attendance, Behavior and Course Performance in math and English.
Over the past weeks, the City Year Blog took a look at these three critical areas and the role CMs are playing, getting our students back on track. Please click the images below to learn more.
3. High School Voice: A former City Year New York Young Hero, now 17 years old High School Student, has recently named the Editor for The Huffington Post’s newest “High School Section.” This new section will feature High School Students (14 – 18 years old) who are interested in getting their voices heard. Please read Myles’ announcement earlier this week.
Any young people who are interested or what to learn more, email Myles at email@example.com
4. Four!: Our Third Annual Golf Tournament is just a few weeks away. Still undecided about attending? CLICK HERE to read the recap and see photos from last year.
5. Have you joined the conversation?: We want to stay connected to you! If you haven’t already done so, FOLLOW us on twitter to ask questions and see what’s happening here on the day-to-day.
JOIN the City Year New York Facebook group to learn more about our corps, find out about upcoming events and read about our service in schools. To join a larger national service conversation and network with all 22 City Year sites, LIKE the City Year Facebook page.
We are beginning to prepare for Hurricane Irene that is projected to hit the Greater New York area early Saturday. Mayor Bloomberg has ordered the MTA to shut down tomorrow at noon and certain areas of the city are already starting to evacuate. Use this map to find out the status of your neighborhood.
Gallons of water are quickly disappearing from grocery store shelves. Make sure to stock up before it’s all gone and get your board games out as you brace for the storm.
Please be advised that our office will be closed this weekend and the corps will not be in service on Monday.