- City Wide Truancy Reduction Strategy Announced: Thursday morning in East New York, Mayor Michael Bloomberg held a press conference at PS 345, a City Year partner school, to announce a new citywide initiative to combat chronic absenteeism. City Year is excited to have been selected as a partner in this new program where 7 of the 25 pilot schools will be staffed with City Year corps members. This new partnership will help provide our corps members with access to student level data that tracks our student’s progress in attendance, behavior and course performance (The ABCs).
- Recruitment Pilot –Monday we officially launched the 2011-2012 recruitment cycle. We are now accepting application for the FY12 corps. If you know a young person age 17-24 who may be interested in joining City Year please visit our WEBSITE
- CY in NYT Mag: We were mentioned in a New York Times Magazine article titled “What Is It About 20-Somethings?” that was published Wednesday, August 18. It covers how over time people in their twenties have redefined the norm of what should be accomplished in that decade of life, and City Year is an option highlighted on page 9. The article can be read HERE.
- HQ Staff Visits CYNY: Wednesday was an exciting day as CYNY had not one but TWO visitors from HQ! Dr. Max Klau, Director of LeadershipDevelopment, walked us through the Idealist Journey, a workbook that all corps members receive that helps facilitate reflection and conversations about leadership development throughout the year. He gave us the “why” behind it (because City Year is not only about service but also growing as leaders), and his expertise on ways to best utilize it as a tool (after all, he invented the Idealist Journey).
Then Stephen Spaloss, Vice President of the Office Site of Leadership, spoke to us about effective leadership. Some highlights include great points about the importance of controlling our presence as leaders (sometimes we just have to ‘fake it til we make it’) and being aware of our own emotional intelligence (knowing how we tend to act when we’re flustered). We also heard some great anecdotes about Spaloss’ personal less-than-perfect moments as a leader, which we’ll leave to him to share himself. Thanks to both for traveling to NYC and sharing your knowledge with us!
- Registration Day: On Wednesday and Friday of this week our recruitment department hosted corps member registration. Corps members are being enrolled into AmeriCorps and getting their first introduction to our office and staff. All incoming corps members should CHECK OUT this video if you have any questions.