- The pilot teams’ first day in schools was Wednesday, September 8th. In keeping with the spirit of PITW
#19, “‘Pilot’ a New Idea First,'” the teams at IS 126 in LIC and MS 424 in the South Bronx are pioneering City Year New York’s desire to have corps members start full-time in schools on the first day of schools. In previous years, our calendar had corps members training for the month of September before heading into work at schools. The pilot teams are helping us learn what it means to shorten training and push the calendar back so we can work to smooth things out before all of our teams start on the first day of schools next year. So far, so good. Both teams are looking strong and are handling all of the many ‘firsts’ with enthusiasm.
- Big thanks to Scholastic for letting us use their beautiful auditorium yesterday morning for a few important sitewide trainings, starting with a “State of the Site” address by Executive Director, Itai Dinour. Our corps has grown to be 254 strong this year, and getting everyone together in one place in NYC is getting to be a challenge. But the generosity of people like those behind Scholastic help us to gather as one big community, so we thank you so much! (P.S. The color-scheme of the auditorium plus our red jackets made for quite the pairing!)
- Under the fearless leadership of our own Zara Chaudary, Program and Service Operations Manager, our entire corps walked away with uniforms supplied by Timberland and Aramark on Wednesday. They debuted their red-and-khaki look yesterday, just in time for the kick off of New York Fashion Week. Hey, our look has true meaning behind it! Even Versace couldn’t argue that point!
- Co-founder and recent author of “Big Citizenship” Alan Khazei is coming to town September 23rd, and we’re searching for the next Oprah within our corps to interview him in front of the entire City Year New York site.
CMs have until COB Tuesday, September 14th to express interest to Alice Pak (firstname.lastname@example.org), and will find audition details soon thereafter. Auditions will take place at Basic Training Retreat, and interview applicants are highly encouraged to do their research on Alan and especially his new book!
- Events Coming Soon to City Year New York:
- Alumni & Corps Meet & Greet, Tuesday, September 21st, 7 pm, 20 W. 22nd Street, 3rd Floor – Alumni will get the chance to meet this year’s corps and give them tips, share stories, and tell them what their Leadership After City Year (LACY) has been like! For alumni: please RSVP to Alice Pak (email@example.com) if you plan on attending.
- Parent & Family Reception, Thursday, September 30th, 6:30 pm, Details Upon RSVP – For the first time this year on the evening before Opening Day, parents and family of corps members are invited to the home of a City Year New York Advisory Board member, Anne Herrmann. Anne is not only a long-time educator and supporter of City Year New York, she also has two sons who have graduated from the City Year program. Anne knows what it is like to be the parent of a corps member and she wants to help us make sure that the parents and family of this year’s corps have a good understanding of City Year’s mission. The reception will feature a brief welcome from City Year New York’s Executive Director, as well as a panel of current and alumni corps members who will discuss and answer questions about their corps experience. Please RSVP to Kim Gillman (firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-452-3655).
by Alice Pak, Events & Alumni Project Leader.