1. Golf Tournament – On Monday, CYNY held our Second Annual Charity Golf Tournament. 18 holes of golf was a fun way to engage our Associate and Advisory Boards and introduce new champions to the work that our corps members do every day in the public schools of New York City. This year’s event was a great success and I encourage everyone to CLICK HERE to see pictures and read our post from earlier this week.
2. Alumni and Corps Meet and Greet: On Tuesday night our Alumni held a networking event at our office for 2010 – 2011 corps. We had more than 30 alumni, 70 current corps members and more pizza than anyone could consume. Alums took this opportunity to share best practices and wisdom from their time in the corps.
3. Alan Khazei – Yesterday we were honored to host C0-Founder and former CEO of City Year, Alan Khazei for a discussion of his new book Big Citizen. Staying true to his City Year roots Alan led our corps in a warm-up and his favorite PT move Chain breakers, before he was interviewed by two of our current corps member, Matt Patrick and Amy Furman. Alan (or Al, as Matt Patrick refers to him) shared with us the role his parents played in making him a Big Citizen, where he found his inspiration as a young idealist and his vision for the future of City Year and National Service. Check out our TWITTER FEED to read quotes from his interview.
4. The American Way to Change – we are excited to announce that we will be hosting a panel discussion on October 6th, at 6:30 pm in our office (20 W. 22nd Street – Between 5th and 6th avenue) featuring Shirley Sagawa. Shirley Sagawa’s recent book, The American Way to Change, articulates a new role for volunteers and national service to help solve the nation’s biggest problems. She offers a fresh look at public problem solving with service at the center. The panel will include AmeriCorps volunteers from The Center for American Progress, Citizen Schools, City Year, Jumpstart, and Repair the World with an introduction by Joel Berg, NYC Coalition Against Hunger. Please RSVP to Alice Pak
5. Opening Day Update – We are one week out from our Opening Day so we wanted to keep the troops informed with some updated information.
- We are excited to announce that we have secured Brian Berger to speak on behalf of City Year’s National Opening Day Sponsor, Comcast.
- We currently have received 173 RSVPs from our friends, family and sponsors. If you plan on attending please RSVP to Alice Pak
- We have 10 corps members who will be partisipating in our Opening Day program. Those cms are; Vashti Valecius, Jack Stopinski, Meldrena Vega, Stevey Williams, Kenzie Morgan,Lauren White, Arianna Mears, Priya Patel, Jordan Halane and Darren McLoed
By Ian Rees, Communications Manager.