- Long Island City (LIC): Service is up and running for our teams in Long Island City, Queens. In a community where more than 30% of the adults over the age 25 have not graduated from High School or received a GED, we have 48 Corps members who are serving as full time tutors, mentors and role models, working to keep our students on track to graduation. This year, we are serving at two elementary Schools – PS 111 and PS 112 and two middle schools – IS 126 and IS 204 and are partnering with the Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement House for afterschool programing.
- Strong Start: To start the year strong, each team hosted a breakfast for teachers and staff. By mingling and building relationships with staff, all teams have built a solid foundation for the year ahead. At IS 204 students wrote appreciation notes that were placed around the room for the teachers to read.
- After School – This week marks the start of our Starfish and After School Heroes programs. At IS 204, After School Heroes created a set of community practices in which every student shared their vision and expectations. These expectations, such as “One Mic” and “Absolutely no violence or play fighting” will serve as a contract for how they will conduct themselves at the afterschool program.
– At the Jacob Riis Community Center Charisma, a 2nd grade student commented on Starfish saying: “We get to do fun activities and get to know each other and I like, I like, I LIKE, I REALLY like that!”
- Go Green! The elementary school teams in LIC are known for their lunch clubs which provide positive, engaging enrichment activities to students during recess. The clubs range in topics from recycling, world foods, creative writing, sports, and leadership.
- Formation! – Let IS 126 After School Heroes show you how to do PT! The middle school students love PT and look forward to doing it every afternoon. By the end of the year they will be PT experts! They are putting out an official challenge to any alumni who think they can do better PT. Join the IS 126 Heroes any day afterschool and challenge the masters!