1) What We’re Reading: To borrow a theme from the City Year Inc. Blog we would like to share with everyone some of the blogs that we have been reading this week that are sharing the service that our City Year New York corps members are doing in schools every day.
- Huffington Post – Morgan Pehme, Chief of Staff, New York Civic visited our office earlier this month to learn more about City Year. Accounts from his visit are recalled in a story from Wednesday on the Huffington Post: Who Needs Superman?
- Repair The World – On Monday City Year Alumnae Shoshana Holzberg-Pill contributed as a guest blogger on the Repair The World Blog with her post My City Year.
- GOOD Education Blog – Last Friday, Meredith Nowikowski, a Senior Corps Member serving in the South Bronx was featured on the Good Education Blog with her post Remembering Why We Serve. We would like to thank all of our Friends at GOOD for finding new and innovative ways to get City Year on their blog.
2) Ad Council Dinner: Comcast donated a table to City Year New York for the Ad Council DINNER. The 57th Annual Public Service Award Dinner honored City Year Champion, and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Comcast Corporation, Brian Roberts. Our corps members in their red jackets were the talk of the gala as they were visited by many of the guests including the event hosts, Jimmy Fallon and Brian Williams.
3) National Grid Service Day: National Grid , team sponsor of the P.S. 213 Team in East New York, Brooklyn, joined their corps members for a day of transformational service. 30 National Grid employees spent the entire day out of the office and in school teaching elementary school students through hands on activities about where energy comes from, reusable forms of energy, and energy conservation. In addition, the volunteers also spent part of the day painting inspirational murals that focused on the theme of energy conversation and environmental protection and building planter tables for the students to be able to plant their own gardens this spring. Overall, it was a fantastic day of service! Thank you to Mauri Meyers-Solages for helping to organize the day! We hope to see you all out volunteering in the near future!
4) Thanks 2 You: This week in the Spirit of Thanksgiving, City Year has been using our Blog, Facebook Page and Twitter accounts to thank our teachers. Take a moment to go and comment or tweet an appreciation to your favorite teacher.
5) Recruitment Deadline: Monday November 15th was our Early Application Deadline. Please join us at our January 19th Open House before our Winter Application Deadline on February 1st – more information to come!