1. Mayor’s Truancy Task Force: This past August, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced a partnership with City Year and other non-profits to pilot an intensive truancy reduction initiative in 25 NYC public Schools. We were excited to hear Mayor Bloomberg mention not only the success of the pilot but also his intention to double the program next year in his annual State of The City Address on Wednesday.
“We know that truancy is an early warning sign of trouble, so this year, we will double the number of volunteer school mentors who are currently helping over 2,000 students overcome chronic absenteeism.”
-Mayor Michael Bloomberg
2. Open House and Winter Application Deadline: Wednesday night we hosted our second Open House of the year. More than 50 potential applicants joined us to learn more about our program before they apply. This year our Winter Application Deadline is February 1st. This deadline if earlier than years past so please forward this message to any interested 17 – 24 year olds who you think would like to apply for the 2011-2012 corps.
3. Corps Fundraiser: Each year, the corps holds a fundraiser to help raise money to keep CYNY running. The goal of this year’s corps is to raise $12,500! This money will go to things such as a Camp City Year, a week-long day camp run for elementary school students in all four zones that is free for students to attend. We are accepting donations through February 25th. Attend this Facebook event for information on donating and please share with your friends and family.
4. ATA: Today marks the start of our Advanced Training Academy (ATA). The purpose of ATA is to give all corps members the opportunity to continue building skills that will improve their in-school service and add perspective to personal and professional development. ATA will also give teams a chance to reflect on the impact they have made during the first half of the year and make plans for continued success for the rest of the year.
5. Camp City Year: For the 8th consecutive year, Camp City Year will inspire our students with an entertaining and educational week of art and recreation activities, field trips, assemblies, guest speakers, and service projects. This year, Camp City Year will occur Feb. 22nd to Feb. 25th at the following locations:
Brooklyn: P.S. 13
Harlem: P.S. 50
South Bronx: P.S. 333/335
Long Island City: P.S. 112
In order to make Camp City Year a success, we need support from external volunteers. Volunteer hours are flexible and no experience is necessary. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Leah Hoffman.