- CYNY staff and Project Leaders attended a workshop this morning put on by Raymond Sozzi, an Executive-in-Residence at Summit Partners. Ray spoke about leadership and the characteristics of a CEO. One big takeaway? In order to be successful, you have to take risks. A fan of quotes, Ray shared many inspiring ones that particularly spoke to him on the topic of leadership, including one by Richard Nixon: “The greatest sadness in life is not to fail, but failure to try.”
- The South Bronx had a couple special visitors this week from the press. The New York Daily News visited PS 75 on Wednesday to observe City Year’s in-school service, and their timing couldn’t have been better with a Perfect Attendance Party taking place for 120+ students. Yesterday, a student reporter from the Hunts Point Express toured our partner school MS 424. Thanks to both publications for your interest in the important work that we do!
- Help Japan: To our readers, we would like to recognize the tragedy that continues to impact Japan. For those who are looking for ways to help in this great time of need, we came across this simple list on Yahoo listing organizations that will put your donations towards assisting the earthquake and tsunami victims. If you want to utilize your web savvy to help, check out this list from Mashable that shows you how to give via new technologies.
- 18 Minute Networking – our annual networking event put on by the Alumni Board for the corps – is taking place this coming Thursday, March 24, at Deloitte’s offices. This event connects corps members with alumni and other professionals in various career fields to better prepare them for their Life After City Year. To find out how you can volunteer, please e-mail Alice Pak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attention Parents of Current or Future Corps Members: Did you miss this week’s post about Rosa Agosto, proud mother of CYNY corps member Pablo? Click here to read her parental perspective of City Year.