- 18 Minute Networking: Last Night, Deloitte hosted our Annual 18 Minute Networking Event (think speed dating, but for networking) at their 2 World Trade Center offices. It was an amazing event for our 254 corps members as we were joined by over 50 Facilitators (Alumni, Associate Board Members, and friends of City Year) who shared wisdom and career networking advice in the fields of: Consulting, Medicine, Education, Law, International Service, Social Work/Counseling, College, Graduate School, Business, Business School, Government, Non-profit, Fashion, Media / Entertainment, and Arts. The facilitators were excellent and we are so glad that chose to spend a Thursday evening working with our corps members.
One highlight of the night was the “Networking 101” Training presented by Jill Preston, Tax Partner at Deloitte. According to one corps member, “The presentation really set the tone for the whole evening. Jill spoke so highly of how networking helped her get to where she was in her career, and her enthusiasm and knowledge really inspired me to try to make at least one strong connection during the open networking time.”We would like to extend a special thank you to:
Christine O. Wade, Deloitte
Terri Cooper, Principal Managing Director of Deloitte New York
Jill Preston, Tax Partner, Deloitte
Steve Silverman, Executive, Citi
Sean McDevitt, National Alumni Director, City Year Inc.
Bryant Pritchett, CYNY Alumni Board Member, Corps Committee Chair
Trude Goodman, Co-Chair, CYNY Alumni Board
Alice Pak, Events & Alumni Project Leader, CYNY
- Network for Change – Tuesday, we hosted Cornell University for a networking event in our MLK Space. We were excited to host Cornell, who have been one of City Year New York’s largest recruiting partners, providing us with high quality corps and staff members every year. The event titled, Network for Change was an opportunity to hear from and meet inspiring Cornell Alumni who are leaders in the social change sector. We would like to wish the Cornell Public Service Center a Happy 20th Anniversary and thank our panelist:
Marie-Jouvelle Aubourg ’06, Associate Program Manager, Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality, NYC Department of Education
Meredith Fontecchio ’02, Manager, Deloitte’s National Community Involvement Department
Kate Forester ’03, Director of Finance & Operations, Repair the World
- One Week Left – Wednesday, we held our largest Open House of the year with more than 80 potential applicants in attendance. Our guest heard from current corps members, recruitment staff and from James Dechant, who is a 8th Grade English teacher at MS 424, who works with City Year everyday in his classroom.
Our next application deadline only one week away we need you help spreading the word. Please recommend any of your 17 – 24 year old friends and family members to check out our website and consider applying to join next year’s corp.
- Spring is in The Air: Yesterday was the official kick off of our Spring Corporate Service Day season. More than 30 volunteers from Credit Suisse, joined City Year at the Aviation High School, in Long Island City. Along with painting murals, highlights from the day included meeting with the school’s students who got to show off the planes they work on. They even started one up!We currently have ten corporate service events schedule this spring – if you would like to get your company involved with City Year for a service day please contact Allie Clarke.
- National Marathon: This weekend is the Sun Trust National Marathon in Washington DC and Alice Pak, one the most frequent contributors to the CYNY Blog, will be running her first marathon. Alice will be joined by three other City Year New York staff and seniors corps members; fellow rookie marathoner and Team Leader, Meredith Nowikowski, South Bronx Zone Director, Jenn Harwood and Training Manager, Anne Kessler. Please take a moment on Saturday and give @Alice_Pak some words of encouragement on her twitter account. Good Luck!