1. Remembering 9/11: It’s almost hard to believe that it has been 10 years since the 9/11 attacks. To honor the victims, survivors, and the many that rose in service in response to the 9/11 tragedy, MyGoodDeed is partnering with the HandsOn Network to co-lead efforts in hopes of organizing the single largest day of charitable service in United States history. (via City Year Blog)
The City Year New York community will spend next Sunday volunteering in schools and NYCHA Houses on the Lower East Side. We encourage everyone to take a moment on 9/11 to remember those whose lives were changed forever and find a way to give back.
2. Back to School Month: August is “Back to School Month” and for City Year that means welcoming and training the 2,000 Corps Members who will be serving with us this year, in 22 cities across the USA. Our CMs will be entering some of our counties most underserved schools, working with students who are struggling in three key areas – Attendance, Behavior and Course Performance in math and English.
Over the past weeks, the City Year Blog took a look at these three critical areas and the role CMs are playing, getting our students back on track. Please click the images below to learn more.
3. High School Voice: A former City Year New York Young Hero, now 17 years old High School Student, has recently named the Editor for The Huffington Post’s newest “High School Section.” This new section will feature High School Students (14 – 18 years old) who are interested in getting their voices heard. Please read Myles’ announcement earlier this week.
Any young people who are interested or what to learn more, email Myles at email@example.com
4. Four!: Our Third Annual Golf Tournament is just a few weeks away. Still undecided about attending? CLICK HERE to read the recap and see photos from last year.
5. Have you joined the conversation?: We want to stay connected to you! If you haven’t already done so, FOLLOW us on twitter to ask questions and see what’s happening here on the day-to-day.
JOIN the City Year New York Facebook group to learn more about our corps, find out about upcoming events and read about our service in schools. To join a larger national service conversation and network with all 22 City Year sites, LIKE the City Year Facebook page.