This year we’ll be hosting community events in three neighborhoods: East New York in Brooklyn, South Bronx, and Long Island City in Queens. Our corps members and staff are busy planning the Community Service Days and will need some help running the events. Check out the event descriptions and sign up to attend or volunteer with the contact listed below. After you’ve signed up, join out Facebook event page and share what you’re most excited about!
April 28- YOUth For Queens will be at held at Dutch Kills Park in Long Island City, Queens.
- The event will be from 11am to 4pm where a number of Queens-based non-profit organizations will be leading service projects for elementary, middle, and high school students. There will also be performances from local youth, and a special guest speaker.
- If you have students that would be interested in participating, or if you are a Community Based Organization that would like more information about hosting a service project during the event, please contact Christopher Godfrey by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (646) 340-6380.
May 5th- Viva El Bronx is a celebration of arts, culture and education in the South Bronx!
- Viva El Bronx will take part at PS 75, and will run from 12-4:00 pm.
- There will be a variety of events, for both children and adults, that will incorporate these themes and make for an exciting day for the entire South Bronx community. Last year, over 1,000 people came out for City Year’s Service Day “Be Fit, BX” and we are excited to have as strong a turnout this year as well. We are going to have a diverse array of activities throughout the day, and we are reaching out to our community of friends and partners for help!
- We’re looking for volunteers to dedicate their time and talents to lead workshops focused on arts, culture, or education. If you are interested in leading a workshop or supporting the event, please reach out to Brett Portnoy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 12th Empower New York: Give, Serve, Grow is a day of community building in East New York, Brooklyn.
- The day will begin at 12:00 pm with a series of workshops aimed to inform and engage community members. Participants will attend workshops based on their personal interest, choosing between options such as Zumba, Transitioning to Middle Schools in ENY, and more.
- From 3:00 to 5:00 pm, we will be hosting a block party and resource fair. This fair will help connect community members to resources available in East New York and will give families a chance to enjoy food, games, and music!
- We are looking for volunteers to help guide parents and students to their workshops and to help facilitate games during the block party. For more information, please contact Terri Alford at 646-286-0314 or email@example.com.