Today’s guest blogger is Kim Gillman. Kim serves as the Individual Giving Manager with City Year New York in the Development Department.
On Tuesday, December 10, the City Year New York Associate Board hosted a professional development event for Team Leaders. The Associate Board is a group of young professionals who support City Year in a number of ways, including LACY (Leadership After City Year) Support for corps members considering career and education opportunities beyond their year of service.
The event featured a panel of wonderful speakers, each of whom shared valuable insight about their experience navigating professional life. Panelists included:
- Sarah Sandelius* – Executive Director of Policy and Student Advocacy at New York City Department of Education, District 79
- Jonathan Horowitz, Program Officer – Philanthropic Services, JP Morgan Private Bank
- Greg Thomas – Campaigns Manager, DoSomething.org
- Moderator: Christine Foster* – VP, New Member Digital Targeting at American Express
A few golden nuggets of wisdom from the panel:
- Know the buzz words that are valuable in your industry of choice when crafting your resume and determine how to frame your experience accordingly.
- Mentors are important, but so are your peers and colleagues. Surround yourself with those who know you well and can help you think through your future aspirations.
- Always follow-up after you meet someone in a professional capacity; you never know where it could lead!
And there was a lot more great advice where that came from. The Associate Board hopes to replicate this event as a resource for more corps members as the year goes on. If you are interested in being a panelist at our next event, please reach out to Talia Bender at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A special thank you to all of our panelists and to the organizers of this event including Nathan Render, Andrew Olson, Sarah Sandelius, Hiro Sato, Alex Block, Lalita Advani and Amy Kingswell, with support from City Year Training Manager, Talia Bender, and Investment Community Board Member, Brad Hathaway.
*Associate Board Member