Today’s guest blogger is Zena Patel. Zena serves with City Year New York as the Team Leader for the Bain & Company team at PS 83 in East Harlem.
On Thursday, January 24th we hosted our team sponsor, Bain & Company, for a Health and Wellness Fair for the 3rd-5th grade students in the City Year After School program. Bain & Company facilitated four booths focused on eating healthy, exercising and setting goals. Our students were able to learn some new yoga positions, practice jump roping, and check their heart rates!
This after school fair was an annual event with Bain & Company. Last year, the “Bainees,” facilitated a Culture Carnival, showcasing customs and foods from all around the world. Many of our students remembered the fair from last year and waited in anticipation for what this year would bring. One student, a fourth grader and seasoned City Year After School attendee, exclaimed that she loved every station because “[she] got to learn new things like checking [her] heart beat!” Another fourth grader agreed, adding that it was a lot of fun to jump rope with his friends and keep trying until they got it.
The students were also prompted to set healthy goals that the City Year Corps Members will be following up on. After learning about calories, categorizing healthy foods and learning about balanced meals, our students agreed to set goals for themselves. Some of the goals set were:
- “My goal is to stop eating pizza and start to eat more salad”
- “My goal is to eat less and eat more healthy food. I also want to eat homemade food like fish, chickpeas and spaghetti.”
- “I want to eat less chips and McDonald’s and eat more vegetables and healthier things.”
- “To eat all the vegetables that my mother serves me”
- “To drink about eight cups of water a day”
- “To eat more fruits, vegetables and whole foods and no more McDonald’s”
All in all, it was a fun and educational time for all! We look forward to more events with Bain & Company. A big City Year thank you to Bain & Company for a day of fun and sustainable healthy living!